Portfolio of Work
A sample of my work as a facilitator and community builder:
– Codesigned and facilitated Alt*Div, an alternative to divinity school for soulful community builders.
– Codesigned the Wayfinder Kit with Open Master’s co-founder Sarah Bradley.
– Facilitated the Innovative Business Models course for the World Bank, supporting social entrepreneurs in developing markets around the world.
– Designed and led a 6-week summer social entrepreneurship course for Tibetan high schoolers in Tibet through Machik.
– Coordinated the program of speakers and workshops for the first Tibetan Social Entrepreneurship Conference with Machik, which included a Symposium in Washington, DC and at the University of Virginia, as well as a 2-day Forum in the Tibetan region of Dartsedo in China.
– Designed and taught an immersive, doing-based, 17-week high school entrepreneurship course for Renaissance High School in Charlottesville, Va.
– Led workshop on Social Hacks for Self-Directed Learners for a gathering for the Trailblazer Gathering in Asheville, for self-directed learners ages 18-22+.
– Full-time coach for student entrepreneurs and creatives at HackCville- an entrepreneurial clubhouse serving the University of Virginia and Charlottesville community, also leading original workshops on Doing the Doable, Hacking Your Digital Self, and a 4-week Hack Your Career Series. Founded the student-run course evaluation website theCourseForum.com at the University of Virginia ten years ago that is actively used by 85% of students and still student-run to this day, and supported the founding of dozens of other innovative student-run organizations at HackCville, such as HackCville Media and Tandem Innovation Consulting.– Community Building and Self-Awareness Instructor for the Experience Institute, designing and running original curriculum for in-person meetups in Chicago.
– Facilitator for the Sullivan Service and Social Entrepreneurship Retreat twice a year and on site at Sullivan Campuses, running, serving students and faculty from 64 colleges in the American South.
– Facilitator for the Social Entrepreneurship Track of the Bonner Foundation Summer Leadership Institute.
– Organized dozens of peer-designed, peer-led Citizen Circles in Washington DC on topics such as urban farming, systems thinking, women as social innovators, creative writing and more. Citizen Circles was incubated by Ashoka U and was an Echoing Green Semi-Finalist.
– Founder and Steward of the Open Master’s, which has organized grassroots learning communities for self-directed learners in Washington, DC, The Netherlands, and San Francisco.
– Visiting Contributor for the Youth Initiative Program in Järna, Sweden.
– Conducted 50+ hours of video interviews for the Educate2020 Road Tour of innovative higher education programs in America, interviewing prominent thinkers and doers such as Seth Godin, Cheryl Heller (Founder of the Design for Social Innovation MFA Program at the School of Visual Arts in NYC), and David McConville (President Buckminster Fuller Institute).
– Completed trainings in Design Thinking, Art of Hosting, Transformative Action, Work on Purpose, Conflict Transformation, Non-Violent Communication, and a one-week social justice training at the Highlander Institute.
– Speaker on the importance of relationships for learning, having given high-profile talks at Bioneers, TEDxUVA, TEDxFurman, the Youth Initiative Program in Sweden, National Outreach Scholarship Conference, and TEDxAshokaU.
– Have led hundreds of hours of short courses and workshops on community building, design thinking, social entrepreneurship, designing your own education, and other topics, such as this one recently at the TomTom Founder’s Festival in Charlottesville and this Open Master’s learning plan workshop coming up at the Impact Hub DC.