More About Me
I design and facilitate education programs like Citizen Circles and the Open Master’s Program in my ongoing quest to create strong learning communities wherever I can and to give self-directed learners outside of traditional institutions the structure and community they crave.
I also facilitate education and social entrepreneurship programs with organizations like UnSchool Adventures, Mycelium School, Hub DC, de universiteit, and Ashoka U; I work to build, connect, and grow the open education ecosystem through projects like Educate 2020 and by speaking and writing on the future of education; and I am currently the Entrepreneur in Residence at HackCville.
I have traveled widely and lived all around the world in some amazing places, including: Charlottesville, VA, Chicago, Washington, DC, Sydney, Australia, Berlin, Shanghai, Tibet, and North Carolina (where I am from). Along the way, I have been inspired by some incredible people whose kindness I try to pay forward by helping others act on their dreams, however I can.
- I organized experiments in peer-led learning both online (through P2PU) and face-to-face (through Citizen Circles).
- I worked as a minimalist strategy consultant with startups through my company: Night Train.
- I worked briefly on sustainability strategy for a big aussie property company.
- I studied economics and psychology at the University of Virginia, where I launched theCourseForum.com with my friend Jeff Bordogna, which is now the main course evaluation website at UVA.
Some silly dreams I have:
- Start an old-school Boarding House
- Start a community mess-hall style curry restaurant
- Run a professional master’s program in systems
- Start a Local Account of Well-being
- Build a house out of Cob (seriously, how cool do these look?)